Large scale NAT with PF - some weird problem

Ian FREISLICH ian.freislich at capeaugusta.com
Mon Jun 29 10:42:35 UTC 2015

Milan Obuch wrote:
> On Mon, 29 Jun 2015 11:29:32 +0200
> Daniel Hartmeier <daniel at benzedrine.ch> wrote:
>
> > On Mon, Jun 29, 2015 at 10:52:01AM +0200, Milan Obuch wrote:
> >
> > > Does this answerred your question fully or something more would be
> > > usefull?
> >
> > How are you doing ARP?
> >
> > You're not assigning every address on x.y.26.0/23 as an alias, are
> > you?
> >
> > So who answers ARP requests of the upstream router?
>
> There is no ARP on routed address block.
>
> In cisco speak, there is just
>
> ip route x.y.24.0 255.255.252.0 x.y.3.19
>
> statement and that's it. Nothing more. Whole address range from
> x.y.24.0 to x.y.27.254 is routed here as it should be. For something
> like this ARP would be really evil solution.

That's OK, as long as the NAT network is routed to your PF box it
will work.

The situation you mentioned in a previous message where you see
lots and lots of NAT states for a single public IP address is what
I suspected was happening.  When you require more NAT states per
IP than ephemeral ports you will run into issues because you will
run out of NAT space.

If the round-robin works with a smaller pool, then I suspect Glebius
will be interested.

Ian

--
Ian Freislich