FreeBSD 9.1-STABLE - pf rule being ignored

claudiu vasadi claudiu.vasadi at gmail.com
Fri Nov 8 13:41:57 UTC 2013

Hi all,

I have a 9.1-STABLE r251615 acting as a firewall.

The rules:
block in all pass out all keep state [...] block return from !$internal_ip
to $external_ip

What I want is to block all the network except $internal to from accessing
$external_ip. For some reason, the above rule simply does not work.
However, the below does work and block everyone except $internal_ip:

block return from $internal_net/24 to $external_ip pass from $internal_ip
to $external_ip

Why is this? I remember reading the docs for OpenBSD 4.5 and I guess it
should work like in the first example.

PS: Yes, I can see the rule with pfctl -sr and it does translate properly.

--
Best regards,
Claudiu Vasadi