another pf question, arp filtering

Kimmo Paasiala kpaasial at gmail.com
Mon May 13 08:48:03 UTC 2013

On Mon, May 13, 2013 at 11:43 AM, Nomad Esst <noname.esst at yahoo.com> wrote:
> Hi all
> Here's another PF question. I suppose that filtering based on arp protocol is also impossible using PF just like MAC address filtering. Am I right? All of these options are supported by IPFW. What are we supposed to do with these problems?! Just don't use PF?!!

Read first on what ARP is in context of the networking.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Address_Resolution_Protocol

Basically you're asking the same thing when you're asking whether PF
supports filtering based on MAC addresses or filtering by the ARP
protocol. You should direct your question to those who designed PF in
the first place why they didn't think of including layer2 filtering.

-Kimmo