pf + altq + cbq(borrow) not borrowing from parent...

Peter fbsdq at peterk.org
Thu Mar 19 07:16:53 PDT 2009

>>> You need to add "borrow" to your default queue. That's where the spare
>
> <snipped wrong advice> ;-)
>
>>> /Morgan
>>

>> That's the thing - My uplink upload is maxed out at ~896Kb - even if I
>> send traffic faster, still physically limited by uplink - That is all
>> the
>> bandwidth I want to allocate to my public IPs - I want the children to
>> borrow bandwidth from each other, and prioritize the traffic..  They are
>> not borrowing from each other - From my tests, the 'poshta' queue is
>> never
>> going over 34%.
>>

> If your fxp0 is connected to some broadband service where the max upload
> is 876Kb, then that's what you should define in the root queue - not the
> link speed of the interface. pf will get its bandwidth calculations
> completely messed up by the numbers you have entered. You can never
> define more bandwidth in your queue definitions than you have avaliable
> on your Internet connection, regardless of link speed to your modem.
> /Morgan

fxp0 is connected to broadband ISP _and_ local LAN which is going at
100Mbps - So I have 90Mbps queue defined for 'intranet' 876Kb for
'extranet' - Shouldn't the children of 'extranet' still 'borrow'
everything up to 876Kb?  - Since I was defining root at 100Mb, I would
assume my queues would use up more, instead they are using _exactly_ what
is defined for them and refusing to borrow [hence going at 37KB instead of
the uplink max of ~100KB].  As soon as I 'up' the 34% to 60%, I get higher
dl speeds, although not using/borrowing above the 60%.

Changed the 100MB to 896Kb, and set the extranet to 886Kb, the rest for
intranet - Still no performance gain.

]Peter[