Problem with consistent disconnection of IRC sessions

Elliott Perrin elliott at c7.ca
Fri Apr 25 01:53:24 UTC 2008

On Thu, 2008-04-24 at 15:43 -0400, Kevin K wrote:
> I am running a basic freebsd 7.0 pf router/firewall for my home computer. On
> this same machine I am usually running an IRC (tcp 6667) session.
>
> It seems as though every 30 minutes to every several hours, my IRC session
> disconnects and reconnects itself.
>
> I'm passing in/out tcp 6667 w/ FLAGS S/SA keep state. I'm scrub in all +
> scrub out all , and basically it's a standard setup.
>
> I'm wondering if anyone can help me more. I have my PF rules if more
> information is needed but hopefully someone has a suggestion without
> requiring that.

Do you have pftop installed? If so when the disconnects occur do you see
a new session / new state being created along side the old one?

Just want to be sure that it is a disconnect at your pf firewall and not
at either the client / server. Since I know first hand that you have a
pretty good handle on your rule set it may not be your pf setup.

Cheers,
~e