pftop 0.7 in ports ?

Max Laier max at love2party.net
Thu Apr 10 11:48:50 UTC 2008

On Thursday 10 April 2008 01:26:08 Thomas Rasmussen wrote:

> >> went in seconds before you hit send ;)
>
> I am thoroughly enjoying the new filtering feature :), but I have a
> couple of questions:
> The 'rate' column stops updating when I add a filter like say "port
> 80". If I am watching
> a download and then decide to filter that connection only, the rate
> column freezes at the
> value it was at when I applied the filter. Any way to fix this ?

I don't know, but it seems to be a problem with OpenBSD as well.  Please
report with the original author.

> And a minor annoyance:
> It seems that when I want to remove a filter I can only delete it using
> the delete key as
> opposed to the backspace key. This is counter intuitive but it works
> for me with my PC
> keyboard. My colleagues Macbook doesn't have a delete key so you have
> to exit pftop
> and start it again to remove the filter.

Works for me.  I suspect this is a problem with your console / terminal
settings.

> I also have a third question, not specific to 0.7 though, but I'll
> sneak it in anyway:
> Long running sessions seem to give wrong Rate calculations quite
> consistently, for
> example at the moment i have an udp state which is an openvpn tunnel.
> pftop says the age
> is 218 hours and it has transferred close to 40 gigabytes. The rate
> currently says "36864M"
> which is obviously wrong :) It isn't stable there, sometimes is goes
> down to ~7000M and
> stays there for a bit. Anyway, this tunnel is over an ADSL so I wish..
> I also noticed this with 0.6, so as I said, this isn't specific to
> pftop 0.7.

I don't have such a long lived connection around to verify, but again this
seems like a cross platform problem and you should contact the original
author.

/"\  Best regards,                      | mlaier at freebsd.org