firewalling and ALTQ

Gergely CZUCZY phoemix at harmless.hu
Tue Jun 19 11:57:24 UTC 2007

On Tue, Jun 19, 2007 at 12:34:34PM +0100, Rob Shepherd wrote:
> Dear freebsd firewallers,
>
> I've just installed FreeBSD with a view to making a traffic shaping, or essentially transfer capacity limiting device.
>
> This must sit on bridged interfaces between org and edge outers.
>
> I'm having some difficulty working out which bits I need, which packet filter to use and how to get started.
>
> The appears to be 3 packet filters
>
> pf,ipf,ipfw
>
> is this right? ALTQ works with each?
>
> additionaly, I don't seem to have any /dev/ entries
>
> croesor# pfctl -v
> pfctl: /dev/pf: No such file or directory
> croesor# ipfstat
> open(IPSTATE_NAME): No such file or directory
> croesor# ipf -V
> ipf: IP Filter: v4.1.13 (528)
> open device: No such file or directory
>
> I'd like some pointers to get me on track please.
>
> There are many tutorials, but It's impossible to know what is the current supported filter package, what works best with bridging and ALTQ   and how
> to test them when there's bit's missing.
>
> Cheers
>
> Rob
Please read the handbook's section on all the firewalls. It's explained there what
do you need to make them work.

And the handbook should be your primary source of information along with
the manuals, and definitely not some googled tutorials or howtos.

http://www.freebsd.org/handbook
and look for "firewall"

Bye,

Gergely Czuczy
mailto: gergely.czuczy at harmless.hu

--
Weenies test. Geniuses solve problems that arise.