firewalling and ALTQ

Rob Shepherd rob at techniumcast.com
Tue Jun 19 11:51:14 UTC 2007

Dear freebsd firewallers,

I've just installed FreeBSD with a view to making a traffic shaping, or
essentially transfer capacity limiting device.

This must sit on bridged interfaces between org and edge outers.

I'm having some difficulty working out which bits I need, which packet
filter to use and how to get started.

The appears to be 3 packet filters

pf,ipf,ipfw

is this right? ALTQ works with each?

additionaly, I don't seem to have any /dev/ entries

croesor# pfctl -v
pfctl: /dev/pf: No such file or directory
croesor# ipfstat
open(IPSTATE_NAME): No such file or directory
croesor# ipf -V
ipf: IP Filter: v4.1.13 (528)
open device: No such file or directory

I'd like some pointers to get me on track please.

There are many tutorials, but It's impossible to know what is the
current supported filter package, what works best with bridging and ALTQ
   and how to test them when there's bit's missing.

Cheers

Rob

--
Rob Shepherd BEng PhD | Computer and Network Engineer | CAST Ltd
Technium CAST | LL57 4HJ | http://www.techniumcast.com