Updating PF

Max Laier max at love2party.net
Fri Aug 31 11:52:31 PDT 2007

On Friday 31 August 2007, Greg Hennessy wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > I'm using PF from a 6.1 FreeBSD kernel (Just added pf_enable="YES" in
> > rc.conf) and also using Firewall Builder.
>
> Updating why exactly ?
>
> > How do I know what version is running?
>
> You are running the version of PF which ships as standard with FreeBSD
> 6.1. Which IIRC is the same as shipped with OpenBSD 3.6.

3.7 in RELENG_6, 3.5 in RELENG_5, 4.1 in what is to become RELENG_7.

> > What are the options to update PF? Is there a how-to?
>
> Yes, update your kernel to whatever the last STABLE release of 6.1 is.

There are also patches for RELENG_6 to update to 4.1 pf, but given your
inexperience with compilation that might not be the best choice for you.
In any case, they are at: http://people.freebsd.org/~mlaier/PF41/ with
instructions.

If this box can take a downtime once in a while (i.e. not 100% mission
critical) and you are interested in helping, then consider running the
latest CURRENT.  It is in good shape and has the newest pf (4.1).  Just
grab a snapshot or compile from source.

/"\  Best regards,                      | mlaier at freebsd.org