Any ongoing effort to port /etc/rc.d/pf_boot, /etc/pf.boot.conf from NetBSD ?

Vlad GALU vladgalu at gmail.com
Fri Jul 14 15:57:45 UTC 2006

On 7/14/06, Ari Suutari <ari at suutari.iki.fi> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Vlad GALU wrote:
> > On 7/14/06, Ari Suutari <ari at suutari.iki.fi> wrote:
> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> Does anyone know if there are any plans to bring
> >> pf boot-time protection (ie. /etc/rc.d/pf_boot and
> >> related config files) from NetBSD to FreeBSD ?
> >>
> >> This would close small (but as far as I understand existing)
> >> window during boot where firewall is fully open (if using only
> >> pf).
> >>

> >   See the mac_ifoff(4) manpage. You can disable your interfaces until
> > the system is fully booted.
>
>         How well would this work ? I think that idea of pf_boot
>         is to disable incoming traffic, but allow certain outgoing
>         traffic like dns. If dns doesn't work during startup (don't
>         really know about mac_ifoff yet) it will cause problems, for
>         example sendmail startup might hang for a while.

     It would disable all traffic until the system is up. That
includes outgoing traffic. Basically the problem is that pf, unlike
ipf/ipfw, doesn't have a "block everything by default" option, so the
firewall is open until the ruleset has been loaded. That can be solved
by either adding such an option or by having a "block all" rule
inserted early in the booting process, which would be removed upon
exactly what the NetBSD script Simon was telling us about does.

--
If it's there, and you can see it, it's real.
If it's not there, and you can see it, it's virtual.