ALTQ and PPP access concentrator

Max Laier max at love2party.net
Sat Oct 15 07:39:12 PDT 2005

On Saturday 15 October 2005 16:24, Gleb Smirnoff wrote:
>   I've got two problems when running ALTQ on PPP access
> concentrator. May be you have ideas on how to solve them
> in a nice way.
>
>   - When pf.conf is parsed at boot time, the p2p interfaces
> (ng_iface(4) in my case) do not exist, so the ALTQ queues
> are not created. The PPP software (mpd in my case) usually
> starts at later stage of boot. Moreover, some programs like
> ppp(8) create interfaces dynamically, not at boot time.
>
>   - The PPP access concentrator may have a lot of interfaces.
> Why isn't it possible to specify same ALTQ policy on all
> interfaces of given type, like this:
>
>   altq on ng* priq bandwidth 56Kb queue { cvsup def dns ack ssh }
>
>   Instead, one needs to copy and paste a lot of lines differing
> only in interface unit number.

I agree that ALTQ configuration (esp for big setups) has some limitations and
gotchas as is.  I'd like to take the opportunity to start a discussion about
what features are required to make it more useable.  It is certainly
interesting to look at decoupling /dev/pf and altq configuration.  The end
result would be a (in-kernel) lookup service that allows pf (or any other
end-user of ALTQ) to lookup QIDs by interface:qname.  In order to keep things
in sync I am thinking of a eventhandler of some kind.

This would allow us to keep the inlined configuration as it happens right now
(just a little rewriting in pfctl), but enable easy changes for interfaces
coming late.  mpd would just trigger necessary altq-configuration from its
UP-script.

I talked about this with green some time ago - CCed.

/"\  Best regards,                      | mlaier at freebsd.org