ALTQ and PPP access concentrator

Gleb Smirnoff glebius at FreeBSD.org
Sat Oct 15 07:24:35 PDT 2005

  Colleagues,

  I've got two problems when running ALTQ on PPP access
concentrator. May be you have ideas on how to solve them
in a nice way.

  - When pf.conf is parsed at boot time, the p2p interfaces
(ng_iface(4) in my case) do not exist, so the ALTQ queues
are not created. The PPP software (mpd in my case) usually
starts at later stage of boot. Moreover, some programs like
ppp(8) create interfaces dynamically, not at boot time.

  - The PPP access concentrator may have a lot of interfaces.
Why isn't it possible to specify same ALTQ policy on all
interfaces of given type, like this:

  altq on ng* priq bandwidth 56Kb queue { cvsup def dns ack ssh }

  Instead, one needs to copy and paste a lot of lines differing
only in interface unit number.

--
Totus tuus, Glebius.
GLEBIUS-RIPN GLEB-RIPE