ALTQ on carp + pfsync?

Daniel Hartmeier daniel at benzedrine.cx
Wed Jun 1 02:19:51 PDT 2005

On Wed, Jun 01, 2005 at 10:44:49AM +0200, Constant, Benjamin wrote:

> - Pfsync is using internal interface (don't have 3 nic in the box) to
> exchange data.
> - ATLQ is enabled on external interface (em1).
> - CARP is in use on both interface (in failover mode).
>
> I'm currently using CBQ scheduler for the traffic shaping and as I've no
> specific rule for carp and pfsync protocols,
> I think this traffic is falling in the default (mandatory) cbq child queue
> (which of course doesn't have the biggest priority).

If you have ALTQ enabled only on the external interface, and pfsync uses
only the internal interface, the pfsync traffic is not queued at all
(i.e. not using up any bandwidth in any queue on the external
interface), and the problem just doesn't exist. Or what did I
misunderstand?

CARP doesn't itself generate significant traffic, you don't need to
worry about that (unless the external interface is so saturated that
CARP traffic can't get through at all, causing failovers). You could
simply give CARP traffic the highest priority (using a top-level
priority queue, possibly) in that case.

Daniel