[pf4freebsd] HEADSUP: Import of pf from OpenBSD 3.5

Max Laier max at love2party.net
Wed Sep 15 21:05:34 PDT 2004

All,

I will be importing a new version of pf in the next hour. This is long due and
really well-tested. However, the first step will bring in OPENBSD_3_5_BASE
(i.e. the release version, not the STABLE branch). We will catch up on
-STABLE soon thereafter. Just FYI, better wait a bit before you re-build
world to get the new stuff.

The import will enable us to test ALTQ very easily and help in deploying
driver changes.

The OpenBSD release notes say:
"+ A large number of bug fixes, changes, and optimizations to our packet
   filter pf(4) including:
   - Atomic commits of ruleset changes (reduce the chance of ending up in an
     inconsistent state).
   - A 30% reduction in the size of state table entries.
   - Source-tracking (limit number of clients and states per client).
   - Sticky-address (the flexibility of round-robin with the benefits of
     source-hash).
   - Invert the socket match order when redirecting to localhost (prevents the
     potential security problem of remote connections being identified as
     local).
   - Significant improvements to interface handling."

Best regards,				| mlaier at freebsd.org
Max Laier				| ICQ #67774661
http://pf4freebsd.love2party.net/	| mlaier at EFnet