[pf4freebsd] Re: pf 3.5 + ALTQ import / Looking for beta testers and altq drivers

Richard Tector richardtector at thekeelecentre.com
Wed Sep 15 21:03:28 PDT 2004

Quoting Max Laier <max at love2party.net>:

> Hello,
>
> http://people.freebsd.org/~mlaier/ has an import of the OpenBSD 3.5 pf
> sources
> (OPENBSD_3_5_BASE, stable imports will follow later). To build this you need
>
> a recent -current source tree. Just apply the patch and copy over the other
> files. After this you should be ready for a build{world, kernel}. If you do
> not want to do a full buildworld, make sure to update (at least) pfctl(8) and
>
> authpf(8). You might also want to update ifconfig(8) and kdump(1).
>
> This comes bundled with latest ALTQ sources from KAME, providing "pf_mode"
> only (i.e. no support of /dev/altq). This makes the locking really easy and
> keeps the impact of ALTQ to the tree very small (i.e. no classifier hooks
> etc).
>
> The ALTQ-enabled driver set is very limited at the moment as I'd like to
> import only well-tested drivers to this patchset anticipating a possible
> import into the tree.
>
> The pf import is a bit different in respect to the interface handling. As
> FreeBSD allows network interfaces to be renamed at runtime I had to introduce
>
> a special group for interfaces that have not yet been seen. Just to explain
> what this "notyet" group is all about and what "(placeholder)" means. Other
> than this, there should be no noticable difference between Open- and
> FreeBSD.
>
> Please test this stuff if you have time/resources at hand and possibly
> feedback drivers after a reasonable time of testing. It should be able to
> apply the driver patch from the rofug.ro patchset in most cases, if you run
> into troubles - let me know.
>
> Note that this is really a BETA patch. It works great for me on two routers,
>
> my desktop and laptop, but that does not mean anything. It is also missing
> some glue in regards to pfsync(4) (which is kinda pointless w/o carp[1]
> anyways) and other minor tweaks that make up a proper import. If you run into
>
> anything let me know! (w/ or w/o patches to fix it).
>
> Okay ... this is a bit of a disordered mess, but I think you get the point. I
>
> am in Canada at the moment and will not be very available until monday, but I
>
> just had to send this out ... finally.
>
> [1] There is an old patchset available to import this. Pick up from there or
>
> fund me to finish it ;)
>
> P.S.: There is also this "jailed.patch". If you have an application for it,
> please give it a try (discription is on the site) and let me know what you
> think about it.
>
> --
> Best regards,				| mlaier at freebsd.org
> Max Laier				| ICQ #67774661
> http://pf4freebsd.love2party.net/	| mlaier at EFnet

Excellent work with pf, thank you and please keep it up.
However, I was wondering if you had any plan to support the ste driver any time
soon. The routers I run generally have 2 or 3, 4port ethernet cards that use
the ste driver and it would be very helpful to test out performance with altq
on these systems under freebsd.

Kind regards,

Richard Tector
CAPL Ltd.