FreeBSD 10.1-REL - network unaccessible after high traffic

Cs bimmer at field.hu
Mon May 25 06:54:26 UTC 2015

Hi All,

Julian gave me an idea to increase MTU to 9000 but I'm not sure if it
helps. Anyway I increased it on both servers.
@Julian: the loader.conf and sysctl tuning parameters are ok?

Regards,
Csaba

2015.05.25. 8:34 keltezéssel, Cs írta:
> Hi Julian,
>
> Yes, the problem was the same when I used cross link for two years.
> The duplex settings are identical on both servers.
>
> Server A:
> em1: flags=8843<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> metric 0 mtu 1500
> options=4219b<RXCSUM,TXCSUM,VLAN_MTU,VLAN_HWTAGGING,VLAN_HWCSUM,TSO4,WOL_MAGIC,VLAN_HWTSO>
>
>         ether 00:25:90:24:52:66
>         inet x.x.x.x netmask 0xfffffe00 broadcast x.x.x.x
>         nd6 options=29<PERFORMNUD,IFDISABLED,AUTO_LINKLOCAL>
>         media: Ethernet autoselect (1000baseT <full-duplex>)
>         status: active
>
> Server B:
> em0: flags=8843<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> metric 0 mtu 1500
> options=4219b<RXCSUM,TXCSUM,VLAN_MTU,VLAN_HWTAGGING,VLAN_HWCSUM,TSO4,WOL_MAGIC,VLAN_HWTSO>
>
>         ether 00:30:48:dd:fe:3e
>         inet x.x.x.x netmask 0xfffffe00 broadcast x.x.x.x
>         nd6 options=29<PERFORMNUD,IFDISABLED,AUTO_LINKLOCAL>
>         media: Ethernet autoselect (1000baseT <full-duplex>)
>         status: active
>
> I always suspected the 'em' driver and thought "it will be fixed in
> the next release", but after ~3 years I think I need to dig deep to
> find the root cause.
>
> Regards,
> Csaba
>
> 2015.05.25. 4:30 keltezéssel, Julian Elischer írta:
>> On 5/24/15 11:12 PM, Cs wrote:
>>> Hi all,
>>>
>>> I have two FreeBSd 10.1-RELEASE servers connected to each other.
>>> They were connected via cross link, but they are connected to a
>>> cisco switch now. When transferring huge files (50-500GB backup
>>> files) via Gigabit (it is important!) the network randomly dies. The
>>> backup runs every day/week and sometimes the connection is ok for
>>> months sometimes it happens twice a week. When the network dies I
>>> can log in to the server via IPMI and use the console everything is
>>> OK, but can't send anything out on the network. ifconfig em0 down/up
>>> doesn't help nor netif restart. The problem never occured when I
>>> used 100Mbit connection between them, but it was 3com NIC (xl),
>>> gigabit adapter is Intel (em0). When I limit the transfer rate
>>> (rsync bandwith limit or ipfw pipe) the problem is much more rare.
>>
>> did you have the problem with no switch?
>> is he duplex setting correct?
>>

>>> I tried to set these tuning parameters on both servers with
>>> different buffer size but nothing helped:
>>>
>>> # cat /etc/sysctl.conf
>>> security.bsd.see_other_uids=0
>>> net.inet.tcp.recvspace=512000
>>> net.route.netisr_maxqlen=2048
>>> kern.ipc.nmbclusters=1310720
>>> net.inet.tcp.sendbuf_max=16777216
>>> net.inet.tcp.recvbuf_max=16777216
>>> kern.ipc.soacceptqueue=32768
>>>
>>> # cat /boot/loader.conf
>>> geom_mirror_load="YES" # RAID1 disk driver (see gmirror(8))
>>> ipfw_load="YES"
>>> net.inet.ip.fw.default_to_accept=1
>>> kern.maxusers=4096