Phoronix comparision of HAMMER, UFS, ZFS, EXT3, EXT4, Btrfs

Paul Pathiakis pathiaki2 at yahoo.com
Fri Jan 7 15:35:51 UTC 2011

Kevin,

Sadly, true.  They are a heavy Ubuntu supporting shop.  I always laugh at their
benchmarks.  However, I may try their benches on FreeBSD against different
tuning parameters on *BSDs, just to see where things are and see if there's any
improvement or degradation depending on various settings.  (I'm kind of happy
that Debian is realizing some of the shortcomings of the kernel and now have a
FreeBSD kernel to put in. )  I'm always shocked at how few people realize that
Cisco, Juniper, Yahoo, Nokia, Apple, NetApp, HP, Dell, etc (yeah, all those
small names) use BSD and not Linux as their development platform or as their
platform of choice.  (I'm still amazed that Google uses Linux but throws lots of
money at SoC and FreeBSD - that's curious to me.  Of course, where does everyone
get their IP stacks from including MS? :-) )

After 22 years, I've realized just how much is lacking between people with Eng
and Comp Sci theorists and the "certification" people who have a degree in
liberal arts.  Someone tried to compare themselves to me recently and they were
of the latter.  I smiled and put a simple automata machine on the board with a
given input string and asked them what it meant.  Just a blank stare.  (I mean
no disrespect to those persons who have gone beyond their degrees and dug into
the nuts and bolts to learn this stuff - kudos to them as it's a harder row to
hoe without the basis.)

BTW, that company I mentioned in my previous post, same thing.  Lots of people,
big egos, little ability.  People don't like it when you show up and, within two
months, learn their proprietary product and prove to them it will never work
after they spent 6 years and millions on development.  They trashed the project
a year after I left.  (Their theory was sound but they wanted to build
everything from scratch where most of it was already available as various FOSS
due to the fact not one was a sysadmin and no one knew about technology
available.  (Heck, when I want to know what's available, I go to ports and
perform a search.  Then, I evaluate what's there and what's applicable.  After
that, I google to see what else competes.  This is now the fourth company in as
many years that has these types of developers/issues.  I don't see how any of
them will ever be successful.)

I really have to get my own company up and running.  22 years of this,
especially the last 5, has left me very jaded.  I wonder if the FreeBSD
foundation will pay my salary and I can work on FreeBSD. (*sigh* it's nice to
dream)

PJP