Phoronix comparision of HAMMER, UFS, ZFS, EXT3, EXT4, Btrfs

Kevin Wilcox kevin.wilcox at gmail.com
Fri Jan 7 15:04:30 UTC 2011

On 7 January 2011 09:12, Paul Pathiakis <pathiaki2 at yahoo.com> wrote:

> This is almost laughable.  I'd like to know what parameters they were tuning.  I
> used FreeBSD with ZFS to make a point to people using Debian on EXT3, EXT4, XFS
> just two years ago.  They were interested in total throughput and TPS.  Well, I
> used the SAME MACHINE and rebuilt it from scratch with the same parameters
> except the filesystems and the last time I changed the OS to FreeBSD with ZFS.

Paul - Phoronix has a history of "performance benchmarks" that skew
*heavily* towards Linux and away from the BSDs, which is to say their
"benchmarks" are hardly indicative of Real Life.  I know I'm in for a
laugh any time I see someone reference one of their "performance
tests" regarding Linux/BSD.

Sadly, a lot of folks will look at that and say, "See? An independent,
non-biased review..."

kmw