Presentation of performance data & analysis?

Ivan Voras ivoras at freebsd.org
Fri Apr 24 18:09:57 UTC 2009

David Wolfskill wrote:
> I apologize, as this is a bit tangential to the description of the list.
>
> I've been doing some measurements of workloads of interest (in my case,
> the workload is building some software, and the metric of greatest
> interest is "elapsed time" (which I obtain via /usr/bin/time)).
>
> And I've been using phk's ministat (/usr/src/tools/tools/ministat, for
> any who aren't aware of it).  It is quite useful (so yeah, I owe phk a
> beer), but I'm trying to figure out how to present results to
> management-types.

Um, I may be missing your point but what is wrong with putting the text

"55 bogons per second difference" in large bold letters centered on the
page and

"with 95% probability" in small plain letters, as a footnote?

They probably wouldn't have use for the statistical graph even if they
knew how to parse it, so you might as well put it in in the background
and assign 90% transparency on it, to serve as eye candy only.