Presentation of performance data & analysis?

David Wolfskill david at catwhisker.org
Fri Apr 24 17:27:13 UTC 2009

I apologize, as this is a bit tangential to the description of the list.

I've been doing some measurements of workloads of interest (in my case,
the workload is building some software, and the metric of greatest
interest is "elapsed time" (which I obtain via /usr/bin/time)).

And I've been using phk's ministat (/usr/src/tools/tools/ministat, for
any who aren't aware of it).  It is quite useful (so yeah, I owe phk a
beer), but I'm trying to figure out how to present results to
management-types.

While I don't have any PHBs in my direct management chain, I've seen
some PHB tendencies in the management of the folks I'm supporting.  And
I get the message that "complicated" won't ccommunicate to them.  Nor
will "nuanced."

Even a pointer to some examples of approaches that seem to work well
for this sort of thing would help a great deal -- my training hasn't
exactly been in statistical analysis or in presentation of data.  :-}

I'll be happy to summarize responses that are not sent to the list
(unless you'd rather I didn't, of course).

Thanks.

Peace,
david
David H. Wolfskill				david at catwhisker.org
Depriving a girl or boy of an opportunity for education is evil.