Disk Throughput test

Ivan Voras ivoras at freebsd.org
Thu Oct 23 21:08:12 UTC 2008

Stephen Sanders wrote:
> FreeBSD 6.3
> Dual Quad Core Xeon 5450 at 3Ghz

FreeBSD 6.3 isn't very suited for your CPU. If your workload isn't
completely CPU bound (i.e. if isn't Seti at Home), you will not only not
make use of all 8 CPU cores but will probably get worse performance with
8 CPUs than with 2 CPUs. Upgrade to at least 7.0 and you'll probably
need 7.1-BETA2 to maximally use your CPU.

But if you don't have much IO contention it's probably not related to
your problem.

> 16GB RAM

You're using the AMD64 version, right?

> 3Ware 9650SE-ML / 256MB cache
> 14 Seagate 750GB/7200RPM/ST375033ONS SATA drives

Which RAID mode? What is the total size of your array?

> We have an application that is streaming data to disk at the maximum
> rate the controller can sustain.  The controller should be able to
> develop something on the order of 600MB/s but we're only getting 450MB/s.

Can you use something like bonnie++ to test your configuration?