PCIe vs PCI (was: Re: FreeBSD bind performance in FreeBSD 7)

Zaphod Beeblebrox zbeeble at gmail.com
Mon Mar 3 17:22:15 UTC 2008

On Mon, Mar 3, 2008 at 8:42 AM, Dieter <freebsd at sopwith.solgatos.com> wrote:

> > My question is: which other PCI-Express GBit NIC's then Intel's are
> > available on the market? I can't find others ...
>
> "man -k pcie" on 6.2 gives:

AFAIK, PCIe devices show up as PCI devices to most drivers.  I know that
'em' flavor drivers work fine with PCIe and that 'ath' driver also does (in
this case, the ath is an 'express card' ... which I'm told is another flavor
of PCIe).  I think the only oddball thing about PCIe is that some flavours
of PCIe can show up as a USB device rather than a PCI device.