PCIe vs PCI (was: Re: FreeBSD bind performance in FreeBSD 7)

Dieter freebsd at sopwith.solgatos.com
Mon Mar 3 16:44:42 UTC 2008

> My question is: which other PCI-Express GBit NIC's then Intel's are
> available on the market? I can't find others ...

"man -k pcie" on 6.2 gives:

bce(4) - Broadcom NetXtreme II (BCM5706/BCM5708) PCI/PCIe Gigabit Ethernet adapter driver
re(4)  - RealTek 8139C+/8169/816xS/811xS/8101E PCI/PCIe Ethernet adapter driver

There might be more in 7.0 but it is still downloading.  :-(
And there may be PCIe devices that don't show up in man -k.
Is there a way to tell from dmesg or pciconf that something is
PCIe rather than PCI?  The onboard stuff could be either.