Performance Tracker project update

Robert Watson rwatson at FreeBSD.org
Wed Jan 23 11:54:17 PST 2008

On Wed, 23 Jan 2008, Erik Cederstrand wrote:

> I'd like to send a small update on my progress on the Performance Tracker
> project.
>
> I now have a small setup of a server and a slave chugging along, currently
> collecting data. I'm following CURRENT and collecting results from
> super-smack and unixbench.
>
> The project still needs some work, but there's a temporary web interface to
> the data here: http://littlebit.dk:5000/plot/. Apart from the plotting it's
> possible to compare two dates and see the files that have changed. Error
> bars are 3*standard deviation, for the points with multiple measurements.
>
> Of interest is e.g. super-smack (select-key, 1 client) right when the
> GENERIC kernel was moved from the 4BSD to ULE scheduler on Oct. 19.
> Unixbench (arithmetic test, float) also has a significant jump on Oct. 3.
>
> There setup of the slave is documented roughly on the page but I'll be
> writing a full report and documentation over the next month.
>
> Comments are very welcome but please followup on performance at .

This looks really exciting!

Do you plan to add a way so that people can submit performance data?  I.e., if
I set up my own test box and want to submit a result once a week for that,
will there be a way for me to get set up with a username/password, submit
configuration information, and then automatically submit test result
datapoints?  Especially if I can specify both the X and Y coordinates so that
I can backdate results should I go back and generate test results for old
kernels?

Very neat, and I look forward to seein gmore!

Robert N M Watson
Computer Laboratory
University of Cambridge