System perforamance 4.x vs. 5.x and 6.x

Brett Bump bbump at rsts.org
Thu Feb 14 20:09:13 UTC 2008

On Thu, 14 Feb 2008, Mike Tancsa wrote:

> At 02:22 PM 2/14/2008, Brett Bump wrote:
>
> >I've recently upgraded a mailserver from a 4.x version to 6.2.
>
> I would say move to 6.3R as its a better release with a lot of bug
> fixes.  In terms of your general performance issues, choice of
> hardware really makes a difference as quality of drivers can be an
> issue.  You might have a really awesome controller that works well on
> Windows or LINUX, but does not do so well under FreeBSD because there
> isnt any good driver support for it.

Again, that isn't diagnosing the problem as much as just saying that 5.0
through 6.2 were all bad releases???  I doubt that can be the case.  Why
would the driver support for this machine (working FLAWLESSLY on 4.10)
now have bad drivers (this machine has been running 4.x for 4 years).

> >I'm seeing signal 6's on apache and imapd (never happened before)
>
> Did you do a fresh install or did you try and migrate from RELENG_4
> to RELENG_6 ?  What network card are you using ? What are the errors
> (CRC?).  How about a dmesg from the box.
>
>          ---Mike

Fresh install ALWAYS (no migrate, I never go that route).

bge0: Broadcom BCM5704 A2, ASIC rev. 0x2002
bge1: Broadcom BCM5704 A2, ASIC rev. 0x2002

-bash-2.05b$ dmesg
pid 31611 (milter-greylist), uid 25: exited on signal 3
pid 43464 (httpd), uid 80: exited on signal 6
pid 86995 (imapd), uid 2151: exited on signal 6
pid 85706 (httpd), uid 80: exited on signal 6
pid 87600 (imapd), uid 1376: exited on signal 6
pid 45621 (httpd), uid 80: exited on signal 6
pid 45617 (httpd), uid 80: exited on signal 6

The greylist entry is a standard 3am cron restart.

Brett