System perforamance 4.x vs. 5.x and 6.x

Mike Tancsa mike at sentex.net
Thu Feb 14 19:42:54 UTC 2008

At 02:22 PM 2/14/2008, Brett Bump wrote:

>I've recently upgraded a mailserver from a 4.x version to 6.2.

I would say move to 6.3R as its a better release with a lot of bug
fixes.  In terms of your general performance issues, choice of
hardware really makes a difference as quality of drivers can be an
issue.  You might have a really awesome controller that works well on
Windows or LINUX, but does not do so well under FreeBSD because there
isnt any good driver support for it.

>I'm seeing signal 6's on apache and imapd (never happened before)

Did you do a fresh install or did you try and migrate from RELENG_4
to RELENG_6 ?  What network card are you using ? What are the errors
(CRC?).  How about a dmesg from the box.

         ---Mike