ZFS, Dell PE2950

Benjeman J. Meekhof bmeekhof at umich.edu
Wed Apr 16 00:31:16 UTC 2008

Hi,

I posted earlier about some results with this same system using UFS2.
Now trying to test ZFS.  This is a Dell PE2950 with two Perc6
controllers and 4 md1000 disk shelves with 750GB drives.  16GB RAM, dual
quad core Xeon. I recompiled our kernel to use the ULE scheduler instead
of default.

I could not get through an entire run of iozone without a system
reboot/crash.  ZFS is clearly labeled experimental, of course.

It seems to die for sure around 10 processes, sometimes less (this is
the end of my output from iozone):

  Children see throughput for 10 readers          =  135931.72 KB/sec
         Parent sees throughput for 10 readers           =  135927.24 KB/sec
         Min throughput per process                      =   13351.26
KB/sec
         Max throughput per process                      =   14172.05 KB/sec
         Avg throughput per process                      =   13593.17 KB/sec
         Min xfer                                        = 31586816.00 KB

Some zpool info below - each volume below is a raid6 of 30PD on one
controller.  I may try different hardware volume configs for fun.

zpool create test mfid0 mfid2
# pool is automatically mounted at /test

#  pool: test
# state: ONLINE
# scrub: none requested
#config:
#
#       NAME        STATE     READ WRITE CKSUM
#       test        ONLINE       0     0     0
#         mfid0     ONLINE       0     0     0
#         mfid2     ONLINE       0     0     0
#
#errors: No known data errors

-Ben