wifi network performance with ath0 and hostapd

Patrick Proniewski patpro at patpro.net
Fri Jun 22 12:55:11 UTC 2007

Hi,

On 15 juin 07, at 18:19, Sam Leffler wrote:

>> The best transfer rate I can achieve is 3.1 MB/s from the
>> powerbook to the freebsd-box, and about 2.7 MB/s from the freebsd-
>> box to the powerbook.
>
> Find athstats in tools/tools/ath and figure out why you're not
> seeing the expected throughput.

I'm reading what I believe to be a high tx error rate: (1 sample/10
seconds)

input   output altrate   short    long xretry crcerr crypt  phyerr
rssi rate
     3        4       0       0       0      0    134     0     930
42  48M
     4        6       0       0       1      0    112     0    1022
42  48M
     5        5       0       0       0      0     43     0    1091
42  48M
     2        2       0       0       6      1    107     0    1155
41  48M

At the time of the test, no other system was hooked-up on the access
point. So ath0 has nobody to talk to.

130536 data frames received
167268 data frames transmit
1314 tx frames with an alternate rate
34485 long on-chip tx retries
3998 tx failed 'cuz too many retries
48M current transmit rate
28701 tx management frames
6 tx frames discarded prior to association
2946 tx frames with no ack marked
176069 tx frames with short preamble
7683422 rx failed 'cuz of bad CRC
30432827 rx failed 'cuz of PHY err
     558614 OFDM timing
     29874211 CCK timing
     2 CCK restart
3360302 beacons transmitted
11489 periodic calibrations
41 rssi of last ack
40 avg recv rssi
-92 rx noise floor
1163 switched default/rx antenna
Antenna profile:
[1] tx    97910 rx   136959
[2] tx    94059 rx   106830

Can someone tell me if the figures above are ok, or look like there
is a problem ?

thanks,
patpro