mysql performance on 4 * dualcore opteron

Steven Hartland killing at multiplay.co.uk
Wed Apr 5 17:04:16 UTC 2006

Looking at this on a dual box here ( waiting for the new MB for dual dual core )
All the time is spent processing super-smack and only 25% on mysqld.
Even dropping to 10 clients a large portion is take by the clients.
That said there is a lot that can be gained by using the tweaks out there
i.e. ULE + libthr + TSC + context_time.patch + cpu_acct_1.patch + cpu_acct_2.patch

Adding these jumps from a baseline:
select_index    2000000 8       0       18624.60
to:
select_index    2000000 5       0       29942.10

The biggest increases coming from libthr ( thanks DavidXu ) and the ULE
scheduler.

[log]
== 4BSD + libpthread + ACPI-Fast ==
super-smack -d mysql select-key.smack 100 10000
Query Barrel Report for client smacker1
connect: max=46ms  min=6ms avg= 25ms from 100 clients
Query_type      num_queries     max_time        min_time        q_per_s
select_index    2000000 8       0       18624.60

super-smack -d mysql select-key.smack 10 100000
Query Barrel Report for client smacker1
connect: max=5ms  min=0ms avg= 1ms from 10 clients
Query_type      num_queries     max_time        min_time        q_per_s
select_index    2000000 0       0       23983.87

== 4BSD + libthr + ACPI-Fast  ==
super-smack -d mysql select-key.smack 100 10000
Query Barrel Report for client smacker1
connect: max=107ms  min=2ms avg= 45ms from 100 clients
Query_type      num_queries     max_time        min_time        q_per_s
select_index    2000000 13      0       22413.39

super-smack -d mysql select-key.smack 10 100000
Query Barrel Report for client smacker1
connect: max=2ms  min=1ms avg= 1ms from 10 clients
Query_type      num_queries     max_time        min_time        q_per_s
select_index    2000000 0       0       26841.07

== 4BSD + libthr + TSC ==
super-smack -d mysql select-key.smack 100 10000
Query Barrel Report for client smacker1
connect: max=46ms  min=1ms avg= 21ms from 100 clients
Query_type      num_queries     max_time        min_time        q_per_s
select_index    2000000 11      0       23428.03

super-smack -d mysql select-key.smack 10 100000
Query Barrel Report for client smacker1
connect: max=2ms  min=0ms avg= 1ms from 10 clients
Query_type      num_queries     max_time        min_time        q_per_s
select_index    2000000 0       0       26403.95

== ULE + libthr + TSC ==
super-smack -d mysql select-key.smack 100 10000
Query Barrel Report for client smacker1
connect: max=41ms  min=0ms avg= 23ms from 100 clients
Query_type      num_queries     max_time        min_time        q_per_s
select_index    2000000 5       0       28581.18

super-smack -d mysql select-key.smack 10 100000
Query Barrel Report for client smacker1
connect: max=4ms  min=0ms avg= 1ms from 10 clients
Query_type      num_queries     max_time        min_time        q_per_s
select_index    2000000 0       0       30128.44

== ULE + libthr + TSC + context_time.patch + cpu_acct_1.patch + cpu_acct_2.patch ==
super-smack -d mysql select-key.smack 100 10000
Query Barrel Report for client smacker1
connect: max=27ms  min=0ms avg= 14ms from 100 clients
Query_type      num_queries     max_time        min_time        q_per_s
select_index    2000000 5       0       29942.10

super-smack -d mysql select-key.smack 10 100000
Query Barrel Report for client smacker1
connect: max=12ms  min=0ms avg= 4ms from 10 clients
Query_type      num_queries     max_time        min_time        q_per_s
select_index    2000000 0       0       31057.52

== 4BSD + libthr + TSC + context_time.patch + cpu_acct_1.patch + cpu_acct_2.patch ==
super-smack -d mysql select-key.smack 100 10000
Query Barrel Report for client smacker1
connect: max=54ms  min=20ms avg= 38ms from 100 clients
Query_type      num_queries     max_time        min_time        q_per_s
select_index    2000000 9       0       24144.22

super-smack -d mysql select-key.smack 10 100000
Query Barrel Report for client smacker1
connect: max=2ms  min=0ms avg= 1ms from 10 clients
Query_type      num_queries     max_time        min_time        q_per_s
select_index    2000000 0       0       27073.46

** update test **
super-smack -d mysql update-select.smack 10 100000
Query Barrel Report for client smacker
connect: max=3ms  min=0ms avg= 0ms from 10 clients
Query_type      num_queries     max_time        min_time        q_per_s
select_index    1000000 1       0       6468.70
update_index    1000000 0       0       6468.70
[/log]

Machine:
Dual 244, 2Gb running FreeBSD 6.1-PRERELEASE (i386)
Package install of mysql 4.0
Port install of super-smack

Notes:
No detectable disk activity thoughout the tests
ULE scheduler breaks the output from top with everything showing as
WCPU 0% in the 100 concurrency test and the numbers not adding up
at all in 10 concurrency test or showing 0%.
To get context_time.patch to work I needed the attached patch which
is basically two failed chunks of: kern/kern_exit.c moved to kern/kern_thread.c

    Steve