raid backup

Michael Vince michael at roq.com
Sat May 29 03:03:19 PDT 2004

> Maksymilian Wrzesinski wrote:
>
>> Witaj Michael,
>>
>> W Twoim liście datowanym 25 maja 2004 (03:49:14) można przeczytać:
>>
>> MV> It seems that the the Nforce3 250gb from Nvidia has hardware based
>> raid MV> built into their chipset for motherboards with a lot of top
>> shelf
>> i have checked some nforce2 ultra400 boards available at shops
>> arround. it appears that those boards, like msi k7n2 Delta-ILSR,
>> are only capable of having raid on SATA interface, because of
>> only one IDE connector and two SATA's. will it support RAID based on
>> one IDE and one SATA drive?
>>

> I believe the Nforce2 Ultra400 is the older version of the Nforce2
> chipset these motherboards would probably have an external taiwan based
> RAID controller chip on the motherboard, you want the Nforce2
> Ultra400-Gb based motherboard which would have RAID based purely from
> the nforce2 GB chipset.
>
> These GB based Nforce chipsets are brand spanking new, I have looked
> around a bit on the web and I can only see 1 motherboard maker with a
> motherboard out based on them and thats for the Nforce3 Gb version
> http://www.msi.com.tw/program/products/mainboard/mbd/pro_mbd_detail.php?UID=572
>

> Probably be a few more weeks or maybe a month or 2 before you can buy a
> motherboard based on this chipset.

Looking around on the net and FreeBSD archives it looks like if you want
cheap ATA Raid now go with either a Intel motherboard with ICH5 or
Promise SATA TX2/TX4
The performance of the Intel ICH5 looks very good with low CPU
utilization (well from what benchmarks in running from MS windows suggest)
I haven't found any clear documentation on what can and cant be used.

http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-stable/2004-March/006791.html
http://www.ambrisko.com/doug/ata/ata_stable_sata_4.patch

http://www.freebsd.org/releases/5.2.1R/relnotes-i386.html#DISKS
http://www.freebsd.org/releases/5.2.1R/hardware-i386.html#AEN65