FreeBSD & Solais 9 questions

Charles Swiger cswiger at mac.com
Fri Jan 23 11:36:20 PST 2004

On Jan 23, 2004, at 2:14 PM, HarryH wrote:
> I have BSD 4.8 and want to install it on a server that already had
> Windows 2000 Server and Advanced Server.   I want to install BSD on a
> spare partition so my questions are:
>   1.  Will BSD install for multiple boot with Windows already there
> and if so,

Yes, the FreeBSD bootmanager will let you choose to boot Windows
partitions as well.  Or you can configure Win2K with an OS menu to boot
FreeBSD, if you wanted.

>   2.  How much disk space do I need for a good server/workstation
> install - no games or source code -  will 5GB do the job?  Do I need
> more?

5GB is more than enough for the entire OS and sources; but how much you
use depends on what you're doing, of course.

>   3.  What are the potential problems that I need to be aware of
> during and after installation?

It's a good idea to backup any data you care about before the install,
obviously.

> I just installed Solaris 9 X86 on an older PC with a 4GB HD, and it
> will not allow me to logon.  It issues a message, "DT Messaging system
> could not be started"  and tells me how to work around it with a
> "failsafe logon" and files to check.  I have been all over the
> Internet looking for solutions.  This appears to be a fairly common
> problem but none of the solutions seem to really work.  Do any of you
> know of a good Solaris Users Group?

Off-topic here; try a comp.sys.sun.* newsgroup, perhaps.

--
-Chuck