freebsd-performance Digest, Vol 4, Issue 9

Sun Jun 22 10:17:03 PDT 2003

On Thu, 19 Jun 2003 07:37:25 -0500
Eric Anderson <anderson at centtech.com> wrote:

> Interestingly enough, I found FreeBSD 4.8 to be faster at local disk
> writes than FreeBSD 5.1.  About 50% faster.

5.1 isn't tuned yet to deliver high performance, so it isn't a surprise
to see a lower performance than 4.x. But 50% is much... are you sure you
did the test under the same conditions (e.g. are you sure the write
cache was off (or on) in both cases, no debugging switches activated in
the kernel/userland)?

Bye,
Alexander.

--
            Yes, I've heard of "decaf." What's your point?