Need help with a strange mail/domain problem!

clayton rollins crollins666 at hotmail.com
Sat Jul 5 13:03:00 PDT 2003

On Sat, 5 Jul 2003 13:56:28
			"Thomas Beutler" <storugglan at telia.com> wrote:

>Hi everyone!
>
>I'm a total stranger to the Unix world... too long have I dwelled in the
>Windows area, and now I'm searching for new horizons and worlds to
>explore... the Unix world. I looked around and found FreeBSD interesting
>enough to install... and here I am with a strange problem:
>
>I installed FreeBSD 5.0-Release and got the system running. So far - so
>good. Second task: Install bind and get the DNS running. So far - so good -
>at least I think so.
>
>Third task was to get my email work... and now the problems begins.
>
>I own the domain beutler.se, and my computers name is visthusboden.
>The server accepts incoming mail all right - no problems there... BUT...
>...whatever I do, all outgoing mail get the address
>user at visthusboden.beutler.se instead of user at beutler.se
>
>What am I doing wrong?
>
>I've checked and tripple-checked every file in /etc/namedb/ and everything
>looks fine (no missing dots or some simple problem like that) and I've
>really read this through in the FreeBSD manual... and still... ???
>
>I'm at whits end here folks... please help me out!

I also couldn't find any good doc.s with this info. In fact I was about to
give up,
when I thought of something simple; the env variable HOST. Looking through
the man page, I was unable to determine whether sendmail uses this, but I'd
recommend giving it a try. (It may break other app.s, though...)

You might also try adding the users to the aliases file. (I know next to
nothing
about sendmail... I'm not really sure that will do what you want... The
files do
have man pages, though.)

As a final piece of advice, you'll consistently get more/better/quicker help
by
writing -questions. If no one here gives you a good answer, try there. (I
have
a feeling someone here knows the answer, as sendmail is pretty
ubiquitous...)

Peace,
Clayton

PS. Sounds like you've had some good/fun adventures with FreeBSD already.
Congrats!