CARP and NAT question

Julien Cigar julien at perdition.city
Tue Oct 8 15:58:19 UTC 2019

On Tue, Oct 08, 2019 at 10:20:34AM -0500, Matthew Grooms wrote:
> Hi Julien,

Hi Matthew,

> It's not clear why you are trying to assign multiple carp IP address to
> two different interfaces from within the same IP subnet. Are you trying
> to fail over a 2nd carp address or are you trying to improve
> throughput/redundancy? If you just want to fail over a 2nd carp address,
> assign a 2nd alias to your first interface. If your trying to improve
> throughput/redundancy, assign both interfaces to a lagg and build your
> carp interfaces on top of that instead.

Currently outbound traffic from $net1 and $net2 (two private networks)
pass through the same network interface (igb0) (as you can see in (1)
in my previous post) on the router. I'd like to prevent that
$net2 saturates the interface and slow down traffic from $net1 (which is
more important). I could lagg and build CARP on top of that but it
wouldn't prevent $net2 to saturate the interface (unless I'm plugin ALTQ
of course, which I'd like to avoid).