DHCPv6 client in base

Mark Martinec Mark.Martinec+freebsd at ijs.si
Mon Oct 7 12:13:20 UTC 2019

2019-05-15 driesm.michiels wrote:
> Has anyone ever thought or considered integrating an IPv6 DHCP client
> in base? [...]
> I have a plan to import wide-dhcp6 into the base system because it is
> simple enough. [...]
> Other alternatives? Thoughts?

This topic came up three years ago. David A. Bright reported
he has done some preparatory work.

See the full thread from June 2016:

   https://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-net/2016-June/045535.html

Does wide-dhcp6 support (Stable Private Addresses - RFC 7217) ???
I'd really like to see this feature in dhcpv6 on FreeBSD
( "other" OSes take it for granted :) .

Myself wrote then:
   https://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-net/2016-June/045610.html

| The dhcpcd seems like another good choice.
|
|  https://roy.marples.name/projects/dhcpcd
|
| It is licensed under the 2 clause BSD license,
| supports BSD, is being actively developed,
| is in ports: net/dhcpcd
|
| Seems to be the only one to support RFC 7217
|    (Opaque Interface Identifiers with SLAAC = Stable Private
Addresses)

2019-10-07 02:53, Ben Woods wrote:

> I would like to discuss whether dhcpcd is a better option to import
> into
> FreeBSD base, rather than wide-dhcp6.
>
> dhcpcd has the following benefits that I can see:
> - Actively maintained [1] (wide-dhcp6 seems to be stale for 11 years?)
> - Used in NetBSD and DragonflyBSD (code sharing amongst the BSDs will
> facilitate collective progress and lesson sharing). Roy, the upstream
> maintainer, has committer on both NetBSD and DragonFlyBSD.
> - more feature rich [2]
>
> [1] https://roy.marples.name/projects/dhcpcd/history
> [2] https://roy.marples.name/projects/dhcpcd/features
>
> hrs - what are your thoughts?