DHCPv6 client in base

Ben Woods woodsb02 at gmail.com
Mon Oct 7 00:53:56 UTC 2019

On Thu, 16 May 2019 at 2:25 am, Hiroki Sato <hrs at freebsd.org> wrote:

> <driesm.michiels at gmail.com> wrote
>   in <001e01d50b49$176104d0$46230e70$@gmail.com>:
>
> dr> Has anyone ever thought or considered integrating an IPv6 DHCP client
> in
> dr> base?
>
>  I have a plan to import wide-dhcp6 into the base system because it is
>  simple enough.
>
> dr> net/dhcp6 isn't really maintained anymore from the KAME days it works
> for
> dr> basic functionality but fails when a more complex config is required.
>
>  More specifics about the complex configuration?
>
> -- Hiroki

I would like to discuss whether dhcpcd is a better option to import into
FreeBSD base, rather than wide-dhcp6.

dhcpcd has the following benefits that I can see:
- Actively maintained [1] (wide-dhcp6 seems to be stale for 11 years?)
- Used in NetBSD and DragonflyBSD (code sharing amongst the BSDs will
facilitate collective progress and lesson sharing). Roy, the upstream
maintainer, has committer on both NetBSD and DragonFlyBSD.
- more feature rich [2]

[1] https://roy.marples.name/projects/dhcpcd/history
[2] https://roy.marples.name/projects/dhcpcd/features

hrs - what are your thoughts?