What is best TCP throughput benchmarking tool?

Jason Wolfe j at nitrology.com
Mon Oct 22 07:49:00 UTC 2018

Lev Serebryakov wrote on Sat, Oct 20, 2018 at 05:54:38PM +0300:
> Hello Eugene,
>
> Saturday, October 20, 2018, 2:23:29 AM, you wrote:
>
> > You do not need to micro-control this. The wrk provides you with nice stats
> > plus you have counters of "systat -ifstat 1" during long test.
>
> >>  All these tools ? wrk, nginx ? are optimized for many concurrent
> >> connections on powerful hardware and looks like overkill to test one
> >> connection bandwidth on Atom CPU.
> > You can choose number of concurrent connections yourself while running wrk.
>  One. I need one :-)
>
> >>  BTW, how to configure nginx to server 16G+ file without any disk access?
> >> One big hole on tmpfs? :)
> > You do not need large disk file in case of wrk+nginx. Make small-sized tmpfs
> > with single several megabytes-sized file, and that's all.
>  I want to run multi-minute streams. On gigabit network. Without any time
> spent on connections, requests, TCP windows scaling, etc. As I said, it is
> complete opposite to what nginx+wrk does well.

nginx will happily serve sparse files:

# touch internets.bff; time truncate -s 30T internets.bff; ls -ls
# internets.bff

real    0m0.001s
user    0m0.000s
sys     0m0.000s

224 -rw-r--r--  1 root  wheel  32985348833280 Oct 22 00:37 internets.bff

Length: 32985348833280 (30T) [application/octet-stream]

Jason