Problem with VLAN config and traffic after 10.1-R -> 10.3-R-p5 Upgrade?

Matthew Seaman matthew at FreeBSD.org
Thu Jun 23 12:32:30 UTC 2016

On 06/23/16 13:14, Karl Pielorz wrote:

> --On 23 June 2016 11:53 +0100 Karl Pielorz <kpielorz_lst at tdx.co.uk> wrote:
>
>> This gets increasingly weird if I run tcpdump on the 10.3 box. The act of
>> running 'tcpdump -i lagg1.30 -n' actually fixes the problem:
>
> As a follow up - running 'ifconfig lagg1 promisc' fixes the issue as
> well (as you'd kind of expect if tcpdump does while it's running).
>
> I don't know if that's a good idea / workaround for now?

I use a similar config with vlans over lagg.  While I haven't seen
exactly your problem, I did see one instance of the vlan interface
coming up with an all-zero MAC address (out of about 10 systems upgraded
to 10.3-RELEASE so far).  See PR207701 -- my workaround was to
explicitly set a MAC address for the vlan i/f.

We're configuring the vlan interfaces slightly differently so that they
end up with a name like 'vlan123' rather than 'lagg0.123' -- if that
difference is significant then it maybe gives you an alternate
workaround to running your interfaces promiscuously.

	Cheers,

	Matthew