AQMs for FreeBSD

Don Lewis truckman at FreeBSD.org
Sun Sep 27 23:51:49 UTC 2015

On 28 Sep, grenville armitage wrote:
> All,
>
> With the support of a small grant from Comcast's TechFund, I and one
> of my students will soon start working with over the next 6+ months to
> implement codel, PIE, fq_codel and fq_PIE in FreeBSD's dummynet. We're
> doing this in large part test the clarity of the IETF's documentation,
> feed back into the IETF process, and help bring FreeBSD up to par with
> Linux in this particular area.

Very cool!  This is something that I've been wanting for a while.

Something else that Linux has that we don't is the ability to account
for the overhead of ATM encapsulation.

> I know there's been some previous FreeBSD work (e.g. with codel), so
> we're happy to hear about (and build on) previous BSD-licensed work in
> this space.

ALTQ in -HEAD has codel, but it is basically undocumented.  I've been
thinking about using it, but I also want to be able to limit the
bandwidth of inbound TCP traffic, but ALTQ only handles outbound
traffic.