Allowing CARP to use arbitrary OUI prefix and allocating block from FreeBSD's OUI space assignment for that

Bjoern A. Zeeb bzeeb-lists at lists.zabbadoz.net
Thu May 8 09:37:52 UTC 2014

On 08 May 2014, at 08:10 , Eygene Ryabinkin <rea at freebsd.org> wrote:

> As current CARP implementation somewhat hijacks OUI MAC space for VRRP
> (00:00:5e:00:01:$VRID) and this sometimes create problems, because
> routing people tend to be different from the ones that run CARP
> clusters, so their VRID/VHID can clash inside single L2 domain, and
> this often leads to breakages (because of same MAC values for the
> different clustered instances),

It often leads to a bit of logging about “hey I don’t know this ‘version' of VRRP” (well yeah) on some $vendor devices who should know better by now.

Apart from that I thought the different version number was sufficient (as it is for other protocols, and so have others who actually started to write a draft for an independent submission early last year and stalled on it).   I am actually not in the loop on what we ended up with in 10 but I guess given the new CARP started to understand the old stuff glebius did not end up bumping it finally in FreeBSD?  So the problem might remain that we are on a conflicting “VRRP/CARP version”?

In addition you should, of course, use secrets with the VRRP/CARP as otherwise you deserve to have real clashes that do unexpected things to your deployment.

Just my -1cts
/bz

—
Bjoern A. Zeeb             "Come on. Learn, goddamn it.", WarGames, 1983