Allowing CARP to use arbitrary OUI prefix and allocating block from FreeBSD's OUI space assignment for that

Eygene Ryabinkin rea at freebsd.org
Thu May 8 08:10:53 UTC 2014

Good day.

As current CARP implementation somewhat hijacks OUI MAC space for VRRP
(00:00:5e:00:01:$VRID) and this sometimes create problems, because
routing people tend to be different from the ones that run CARP
clusters, so their VRID/VHID can clash inside single L2 domain, and
this often leads to breakages (because of same MAC values for the
different clustered instances), I have two proposals:

 - I'll do a patch for carp(4) that will allow it to use configurable
   OUI from a sysctl knob (first 5 bytes of OUI);

 - assign 8 bit block from current FreeBSD OUI (58-9c-fc),
     http://standards.ieee.org/develop/regauth/oui/oui.txt
   for exclusive use for CARP at FreeBSD to avoid VRRP clashes
   (and therefore Ethernet MAC wars).

There will be, of course, other activites, mostly for extending manual
pages, but I'm up to it.

Any thoughts about this?

By the way, does anyone knows where FreeBSD's OUI space division
is further documented?  Like IANA's one,
  http://www.iana.org/assignments/ethernet-numbers/ethernet-numbers.xhtml
--
Eygene Ryabinkin                                        ,,,^..^,,,
[ Life's unfair - but root password helps!           | codelabs.ru ]

Please, CC me: I am not subscribed to this list.