Enabling VIMAGE in GENERIC

George Neville-Neil gnn at neville-neil.com
Tue Dec 2 04:07:38 UTC 2014

On 30 Nov 2014, at 5:04, Julian Elischer wrote:

> On 11/29/14, 5:28 PM, Craig Rodrigues wrote:
>> On Mon, Nov 24, 2014 at 9:03 AM, Julian Elischer <julian at freebsd.org
>> <mailto:julian at freebsd.org>> wrote:
>> >

>> > also look at the following: (a little dated)
>> >

>> http://p4web.freebsd.org/@md=d&cd=//depot/projects/vimage/&cdf=//depot/projects/vimage/porting_to_vimage.txt&c=tO0@//depot/projects/vimage/porting_to_vimage.txt?ac=22
>>

>> This is a useful document.  I put it on the wiki:
>> https://wiki.freebsd.org/VIMAGE/porting-to-vimage
>
> Thanks.. wow, did I actually know ALL that only 5 years ago?
> Scary.  probbaly worth having someone who is currently active and up
> to date look at it to see if it's all still correct..
> especially the module load/unload stuff.
>

>> --
>> Craig

On a slight tangent.  I ran VIMAGE kernels vs. non VIMAGE kernels for
both a VANILLA kernel
and a PF kernel (PF on but no rules) as a quick smoke test today.  The
raw forwarding performance
was unchanged between kernels with and without VIMAGE on a 10G based
system in the Sentex lab
(lion1).  I will be doing a bit more work in this area and will then put
up some results in my
netperf github repo.

The tests are easy enough to run if you have 3 systems, and Conductor
installed.  The source, sink
and dut config files are all there to be updated and tried.

Best,
George