If you work on a driver that supports pluggable optics or cables...

George Neville-Neil gnn at neville-neil.com
Thu Nov 28 01:40:04 UTC 2013

Howdy,

I just added sff8472.h to sys/net which allows driver writers to get information on SFF/SFP+ optics and
cables across i2c more easily.  Navdeep (np@) has added the relevant code to tools/tools/cxgbetool
to show how to use these values to get information from cables plugged into NICs.  Can those
of you who work on the various drivers that have an I2C interface to the cabling please look at that
include file and the cxgbetool program and start adding your own code to handle this in a similar way?
It’s a great help to those working with hardware in large data centers when they can see things like this:

trantor:~# cxgbetool t5nex0 modinfo 1
 ID: SFP
 Vendor FINISAR CORP.
 SN AJ10JQR