Recommendations for 10gbps NIC

Daniel Feenberg feenberg at nber.org
Fri Jul 26 21:00:02 UTC 2013

On Fri, 26 Jul 2013, Alexander V. Chernikov wrote:

> On 26.07.2013 19:30, Barney Cordoba wrote:

We have experience with HP NC523SFP and Chelsio N320E. The key difference
among 10GBE cards for us is how they treat foreign DACs. The HP would PXE
boot with several brands and generic DACs, but the Chelsio required a
Chelsio brand DAC to PXE boot.  There was firmware on the NIC to check the
brand of cable. Both worked fine once booted. The Chelsio cables were hard
to find, which became a problem. Also, when used with diskless Unix
clients the Chelsio cards seemed to hang from time to time. Otherwise
packet loss was one in a million for both cards, even with 7 meter cables.

We liked the fact that the Chelsio cards were single-port and cheaper. I
don't really understand why nearly all 10GBE cards are dual-port. Surely
there is a market for NICs between 1 gigabit and 20 gigabit.

The NIC heatsinks are too hot to touch during use unless specially cooled.

Daniel Feenberg
NBER