Recommendations for 10gbps NIC

Alexander V. Chernikov melifaro at FreeBSD.org
Fri Jul 26 16:26:55 UTC 2013

On 26.07.2013 19:30, Barney Cordoba wrote:

> [...]
Well, Intel/Chelsio/Mellanox costs $500-600 / 2 ports, Emulex costs a
bit higher (of course, YMMV)
Regarding features: it depends on your needs mostly (e.g. forwarding /
TCP server / IB ).
for forwarding:
Each one is capable of doing at least 8 rx/tx queues per port with
adjustable rx/tx ring size.
One important thing to note is that netmap is currently not available
for any non-Intel NIC.

General hw offload features:
LRO/TSO4/vlans/jumbo are supported by all of them (not sure about TSO6
in Mellanox) however I can't say how good it works.

SFP+/Twinax:
Intel was very restrictive on supported spf/cables (however, Jack
changed this a moth ago).
Chelsio is much better here.

Advanced features:
Intel (82599-based NICs) has hw firewall called FlowDirector which can
be programmed to redirect particular IPv4/IPv6 TCP/UDP streams to given
queue (or dropped). However it is currently not supported on FreeBSD.
(Intel also has IPSEC offload functionality, which, afaik, is currently
not supported)
On the other side, Chelsio has similar functionality which is supported
via cxgbetool binary (available in tools/)

Usability:
IMHO Chelsio/Intel are the best (a lot of things are
runtime-configurable, lots of counters, etc..)