IPv6 Ideas

sthaug at nethelp.no sthaug at nethelp.no
Fri Apr 24 17:13:23 UTC 2009

> To my knowledge this wasn't around when the Kame guys were working on this
> stuff. I don't think a lot of time has been spent updating the v6 support
> applications since then and that's why we don't have this feature.
>
> This isn't a big deal in dual-stack networks because the clients just do DNS
> over v4 with whatever the DHCP server gave. In a pure-v6 world... In
> hindsight it's an obvious oversight that it wasn't included in the first
> place.

Not necessarily just oversight, also politics. IPv6 RA can't give you
DNS info (without the addition you mentioned), and DHCPv6 can't give
you a default route. Both pretty bad, actually.	It looks like we may
get a default route option for DHCPv6 now, but there's still a lot of
resistance against it.

Steinar Haug, Nethelp consulting, sthaug at nethelp.no