Freebsd IP Forwarding performance (question, and some info) [7-stable, current, em, smp]

Steve Bertrand steve at ibctech.ca
Thu Jul 3 16:40:52 UTC 2008

Ingo Flaschberger wrote:
> Dear Steve,
>
>>> My next "router" appliance will be:
>>> http://www.axiomtek.com.tw/products/ViewProduct.asp?view=429
>>
>> This is exactly the device that I have been testing with (just
>> rebranded).
>
> cool.
> what performace do you reach?

After some very quick testing with everything default, I am witnessing
results that are far below what I would have expected. I have a few
questions:

- how do I identify if polling on an interface is enabled? I see no
difference with ifconfig output

- do I need to compile a new kernel to be able to enable/disable polling?

- without moving some hardware around, I only have a single box
connected to a router, and I've been testing from that box to a
different interface within the router. Will the test results be optimal
if I ping all the way through the router to a second device connected to
it?

- how are the results affected when generating and receiving the test
packets within the router itself (as opposed to using outside devices)?

Steve