Freebsd IP Forwarding performance (question, and some info) [7-stable, current, em, smp]

Adrian Chadd adrian at freebsd.org
Wed Jul 2 13:06:05 UTC 2008

2008/7/2 Stefan Lambrev <stefan.lambrev at moneybookers.com>:

> Do not know for Paul but, I want to be able to route (and/or bridge to
> handle) 600-700mbps syn flood,
> which is something like 1500kpps in every direction. Is it unrealistic?
> If the code is optimized to fully utilize MP I do not see a reason why quad
> core processor should not be able to do this.
> After all single core seems to handle 500kpps, if we utilize four, eight or
> even more cores we should be able to route 1500kpps + ?
> I hope TOE once MFCed to 7-STABLE will help too?

But its not just about CPU use, its about your NIC, your IO bus path,
your memory interface, your caches .. things get screwy. Especially if
you're holding a full internet routing table.

If you're interested in participating in a group funding project to
make this happen then let me know. The more the merrier (read: the
more that can be achieved :)

Adrian