Freebsd IP Forwarding performance (question, and some info) [7-stable, current, em, smp]

Stefan Lambrev stefan.lambrev at moneybookers.com
Wed Jul 2 13:02:47 UTC 2008

Hi

Ingo Flaschberger wrote:
> Dear Paul,
>
>> I still don't like the huge hit ipfw and lagg take :/
You have to try PF, then you will respect IPFW again ;)
-cut-

>> So my maximum without polling is close to 800kpps but if I push that
>> it starts locking me from doing things, or
>
> how many kpps do you want to achieve?
Do not know for Paul but, I want to be able to route (and/or bridge to
handle) 600-700mbps syn flood,
which is something like 1500kpps in every direction. Is it unrealistic?
If the code is optimized to fully utilize MP I do not see a reason why
quad core processor should not be able to do this.
After all single core seems to handle 500kpps, if we utilize four, eight
or even more cores we should be able to route 1500kpps + ?
I hope TOE once MFCed to 7-STABLE will help too?

--

Best Wishes,
Stefan Lambrev