Problems under test of IPv6 Ready Logo Program Phase-2

gnn at freebsd.org gnn at freebsd.org
Wed Oct 18 22:53:34 UTC 2006

At Wed, 18 Oct 2006 19:08:57 -0800,
chenxiaochen wrote:

> Dear all, This is my second letter here, I am beginning to love here
> for there are many kindly friends, such as SUZUKI
> Shinsuke<suz at freebsd.org> :) Ok,questions follows...  Does someone
> do research on IPv6 Ready Logo Program? Now I am doing IPv6
> conformance test under TAHI platform and I meet some problems.

Though some of us are using TAHI I do not believe the project itself
is going for the Logo Program.

I am working on IPv6 and IPSec and using TAHI regularly.

> My test setup is below:
>   -+-----------------------+- Link1
>    |                  |
>    |                  |
>    |rl0               |  rl1
>   TN                 NUT
>    |bge0              |  rl0
>    |                  |
>    |                  |
>   -+-----------------------+- Link0
>  TN:IBM desktop PC,OS is FreeBSD6.1;
>  NUT:IBM desktop PC,OS is FreeBSD6.1
> ---   rl0,rl1,bge0 stand for the NICs of TN and NUT.
> My test software is v6eval-3.0.10 and package are Self_Test_1-4-2 and v6eval-remotes-3.0.
>
> 1. Section 5: RFC 2463 - ICMPv6
>    "case 11 Part B: Multicast Destination"  ---  fail
>    After TN send Echo Request to global multicast address(ff1e::1:2), the following words appear on NUT's screen-----rl1:discard oversize frame (ether type 86dd flags 3 len 1514 > max 1294 )
>    However, "case 10 Part A: Unicast Destination" passes.
>
> 2. Section 2: RFC 2461 - Neighbor Discovery for IPv6
>    "127 Part C: Sending Unsolicited RA (Min Values)"  --- fail
>    After NUT excutes rtadvd, TN says "Could't observe RA".
>    The corresponding rtadvd.conf is

I don't believe that you need to run your own RA.  TAHI is usually
self contained.

>    But when I use Ethereal to capture the IP package, I get RA about 6 seconds later after rtadvd is excuted.
>    The captured RA's parameters are:
>    cur hop limit--64
>    router lifetime--1800
>    reachable tiem--0
>    retrans time--0
>    valid lifetime--0x00278d00
>    preferred lifetime--0x00093a80

You shoudl check if this "just works" without the RA.

> 3. Section 3: RFC 2462 - IPv6 Stateless Address Autoconfiguration
>    All cases fail
>    Reason----TN can't observe DAD process.
>    I can't capture DAD packages by Ethereal in the network start process.
>
>    But I can get DAD packages on IBM T43(NIC is bge0, OS is FreeBSD
>    6.1) and T30(NIC is fxp0, OS is FreeBSD 5.4) when the network
>    start( host test).  Someone ever told me that --- "there is a bug
>    in FreeBSD's kernel which prevents DAD being sent. You have to
>    force ethernet card into any mode rather than auto-select before
>    it is activated, by modifying rc.network" As if rc.network has
>    been change to netstart in FreeBSD 6.1. But I don't know how to
>    modify it.

I have not heard of this and don't have that hardware so can't check
it.